Below is an overview of my past and current projects in writing, editing, and illustration. I’ve chosen a few articles and soundbites to highlight—for further examples, please follow the links to my online profiles and content.
As Content and Social Media Manager at UpActive (formerly SportUp) and UpMetrics, I’m currently working in an engaged, startup environment with a team that understands the important role that afterschool programs play in young people’s lives. I’ve had the chance to work directly on social media and content strategy, website design, branding, and product design & development alongside the founders, VP of Engineering, and Director of Product.
Since beginning at UpActive, I’ve created a number of feature articles on partners and programs that are doing good work in their communities, including a piece on the Watts Bears—this included a photo gallery, a short documentary film (below), and a written piece, which was republished by GOOD Magazine in November, 2016.
- How Lost Boyz are finding a home on the field in Chicago’s South Side
- Building Community and Brighter Futures After School in Mexico
- In a Sport Steeped in History, Community Rowing, Inc. is Building an Even Brighter Future
- Opening the Golden Door: YALLA Helps Refugee Kids Develop the Skills They’ll Need While Becoming a Team
- Tackling Inequality Together: Play Rugby USA is Uniting Kids Across America, on and off the Field
- From the Ground Up: Launching UpMetrics in Chicago
- 4 Things Every Afterschool Program Should Do to Become Sustainable
- Knowledge is Power: How afterschool and cocurricular programs can use data to their advantage
As Content Marketing Manger at AFAR, I had the opportunity to work closely with the Director of Digital Content, the Chief Technology Officer, and the Editor-in-Chief to help define the scope and voice of the brand across social media and email newsletters. During that time, I also contributed articles to the website, curated numerous guides for content licensing programs, and ran sweepstakes and partner programs for our online community.
- How to Make the Most of Mardi Gras in New Orleans
- 5 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy Travel More
- Oh the Places We’d Go (If We Could Play Hooky in San Francisco Today)
- Where to Go in America Right Now
- One Man’s Trash: 17 Awesome Flea Markets (This was also syndicated by Apartment Therapy)
- 29 Must-Visit UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- 27 of the World’s Most Remote and Beautiful Places
- For more, please visit my AFAR.com profile.
Since 2011, I’ve worked as a staff writer, correspondent, and contributing writer for Rowing News. A list of print articles is available upon request (very few are published online). Features have included covering major championship racing at the junior, collegiate, and international levels, among them the 2011 World Rowing Championships in Bled, Slovenia; the 2012 Olympic Rowing Regatta at Eton Dorney, the 2013 World Rowing Championships in Chungju, South Korea, and the 2014 World Rowing Championships in Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Charting a New Course (April 2017)
- 2016: The Year in Rowing (January 2017)
- An Icon Passes (April 2014)
I started the website RowingRelated.com in October 2010, and it has seen a growing readership ever since. From the beginning, I have served as both the editor and primary writer, working with great contributors on many occasions. The site has also been an education in multimedia journalism, and I’ve conducted numerous interviews in audio and video formats. Its social imprint is growing, with more than 45,000 followers across Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and I’m continually amazed by and thankful for the reception that the site has enjoyed.
- Texas Rowing’s Dave O’Neill on Coaching, Culture, and Development
- There’s a lot of talk about issues facing USRowing right now, but it’s missing the point
- RR Interview: Beijing Bronze Medalist and Rio Olympic Hopeful George Bridgewater of New Zealand
- RR Interview: Double Olympian David Banks of the U.S. Men’s Eight
- Flat Water Tuesday Photo Contest: Our Favorites
- Friday Conversation: Paralympian and Five-Time National Team Rower Andrew Johnson
- USRowing Coaching Changes: Discussion and Analysis
- Video Of The Week: Washington Huskies Prep for the 2014 IRA Regatta
- A World Apart: the Outer Sunset (Huckberry)
- Arty living in San Francisco’s rising Outer Sunset district (The Guardian)
- Hacktivate-Ed: A Model For Collaborative Problem Solving (Edutopia)
- Education Pioneers Alumni Working to Solve the Missing Piece of EdTech (Education Pioneers)
- Article and illustration in Row360 Magazine
- Noted author Eleanor J. Hall and I collaborated on A Book of Green Verses (I did the illustrations)
- Virtual Unreality: Boxed In—The Problem with Programmed ‘Experience’ (Medium)
- Beat LA, If You Can: San Francisco’s Emerging Cultural Rival (Medium)